Suicide Warning Signs
No list is comprehensive, and no person fits a list perfectly, but we would like to give a few indicators that many people struggling with suicidal thoughts may exhibit.
- Talking about suicide, including making such statements as:
“I’m going to kill myself.”
“I wish I was dead.”
“I wish I hadn’t been born.”
- Getting the means to commit suicide, such as getting a gun or stockpiling pills.
- Withdrawing from social contact and wanting to be left alone
- Having mood swings, such as being emotionally high one day and deeply discouraged the next.
- Being preoccupied with death, dying, or violence.
- Feeling trapped or hopeless about a situation.
- Changing normal routine or behaviors, including eating or sleeping patterns.
- Giving away belongings or getting affairs in order.
- Saying goodbye to people as if they won’t be seen again.
- Increased use of alcohol or drugs.